The largest underground room is situated under the « royal unbooting room » on the southern side of the pavilion. With a 4-meter tazll ceiling, this room was not properly speaking a kitchen, but a re-heating room. The bread oven though is original and appears on Gabriel’s plans. The chimney was only used to provide ember to the braziers brick tables. This room is highly similar to the re-heating room (or « réchauffon » arranged a few yers before by Gabriel under the staircase of Petit Trianon.
The second kitchen, situated under the western room, has a beautiful chimney equipped with a roasting jack of the XVIIIth century. It was installed in La Muette in 1834 but comes from the kitchens of the (now destroyed) castle of Saint Cloud.
The belvedere terrace duplicates a similar terrace built by Philibert Delorme at the top of the first castle of Francois Ier. It was not part of the early project by Gabriel but was added during the construction by Nicolas Galant, the architect of the king for the district of Saint Germain in charge of implementing Gabriel’s plan. At the end of his life, Louis XV ordered the construction of several similar terraces to hunting lodges or castles to be able to watch the hunt when he couldn’t do follow it.
The proposal to addd this terrace finally determined the aging monarch to order, a few month prior to his death, the long-delayed completion of the italian hall, This terrace is made of large and thin sheets of lead, with a very low pitch. This choice was uunfortuinate as dilatation, over time, caused tears and holes which azre responsdible of the considerable damage to the underlying beams and ceilings. The terrazce enjoys a panoramic view of the forest.